Local authorities who undertake civil parking enforcement are required by statute to make provision for independent adjudication. The relationship between the adjudicators and the Joint Committee is derived from and governed by the Traffic Management Act 2004 and, in the case of the Bus Lane Adjudication Service Joint Committee, the Transport Act 2000.
Over 300 local authorities in England (outside London) and Wales are members of the PATROL (Parking and Traffic Regulations Outside London) Adjudication Joint Committee to exercise this function jointly.
The main function of the Joint Committee is to provide resources to support independent adjudicators and their staff, who together comprise the Traffic Penalty Tribunal (TPT). The TPT’s appeal streams include:
- Parking: England (Outside London) and Wales
- Bus Lanes: England (Outside London) and Wales
- Moving Traffic: Wales only
- Road User Charging: Dartford-Thurrock River Crossing, Durham Congestion Zone, Mersey Gateway Bridge Crossings.
In addition, PATROL undertakes initiatives to support its local authority members and raise awareness of the objectives of civil enforcement, including:
- The promotion of local parking annual reports through the PARC (Parking Annual Reports by Councils) Award Scheme
- Provision of information on civil enforcement through the PATROL website
- Taking forward traffic management issues of mutual interest for member authorities, while also taking into account the motorist’s perspective, evidenced through appeals to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.
JOINT COMMITTEE CHAIRS
The Chairs of the PATROL and Bus Lane Adjudication Service Joint Committee can be viewed in the slider below.
Councillor Jamie Macrae, Chair
Cheshire East Council
Councillor Graham Burgess, BLASJC Vice Chair
Hampshire County Council
Councillor Stuart Hughes, PATROL Vice Chair
Devon County Council
Councillor Joe Hale, Assistant Chair, Wales
City and County of Swansea
Councillor Tony Page, BLASJC Chair
Reading Borough Council
Councillor Terry Douris, Assistant Chair
Dacorum Borough Council
|Meeting of the PATROL Adjudication Joint Committee and Bus Lane Adjudication Service Joint Committee||London||10 July 2018||Notice||Papers|
|PATROL Adjudication Joint Committee Executive Sub Committee and Bus Lane Adjudication Service Joint Committee Executive Sub Committee||London||30 Oct 2018||Notice||Papers|
|PATROL Adjudication Joint Committee Executive Sub Committee and Bus Lane Adjudication Service Joint Committee Executive Sub Committee||London||29 Jan 2019||Notice||Papers|
Previous papers for the PATROL and Bus Lane Adjudication Service Joint Committees can be viewed here.