Local authorities who undertake civil traffic enforcement are required by statute to make provision for independent adjudication. The relationship between the adjudicators and the Joint Committee is derived from and governed by the Traffic Management Act 2004 and, in the case of the Bus Lane Adjudication Service Joint Committee, the Transport Act 2000.
Over 300 local authorities in England (outside London) and Wales are members of the PATROL (Parking and Traffic Regulations Outside London) Adjudication Joint Committee to exercise this function jointly.
The main function of the Joint Committee is to provide resources to support independent adjudicators and their staff, who together comprise the Traffic Penalty Tribunal (TPT). The TPT’s appeal streams include:
- Parking: England (outside London) and Wales
- Bus Lanes: England (outside London) and Wales
- Clean Air Zones: England (outside London) only
- Moving Traffic: Wales only
- Littering from Vehicles: England (outside London) only
- Road User Charging: Dartford-Thurrock River Crossing ('Dart Charge'), Mersey Gateway Bridge Crossings ('Merseyflow') and the Durham Road User Charge Zone.
In addition, PATROL undertakes initiatives to support its local authority members and raise awareness of the objectives of civil enforcement, including:
- The promotion of local authority parking and traffic management annual reports through the PACER (Promoting Awareness of Civil Enforcement through Reporting) Awards scheme
- Provision of information on civil enforcement through the PATROL website
- Taking forward traffic management issues of mutual interest for member authorities, while also taking into account the motorist’s perspective, evidenced through appeals to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.
JOINT COMMITTEE CHAIRS
The Chairs of the PATROL and Bus Lane Adjudication Service Joint Committee can be viewed in the slider below.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, PATROL Chair
Devon County Council
Councillor Graham Burgess, BLASJC Vice Chair
Hampshire County Council
Councillor Laura Lacey, PATROL Assistant Chair, Wales
Newport City Council
Councillor Martin King, PATROL Vice Chair
Wychavon District Council
Councillor Terry Douris, Assistant Chair
Dacorum Borough Council
Councillor Tony Page, BLASJC Chair
Reading Borough Council
|PATROL Adjudication Joint Committee Executive Sub Committee and Bus Lane Adjudication Service Joint Committee Executive Sub Committee||London||25 January 2022||January 2022 Meeting Notice||January 2022 Meeting Papers|
|Annual Meetings of the PATROL Adjudication Joint Committee and Bus Lane Adjudication Service Joint Committee||London||12 July 2022||July 2022 Meeting Notice||July 2022 Meeting Papers|
|PATROL Adjudication Joint Committee Executive Sub Committee and Bus Lane Adjudication Service Joint Committee Executive Sub Committee||TBC||TBC||TBC||TBC|